Sunday 15 April 2012

Kia Optima Punches Way Above its Class

Kia Optima Punches Way Above its Class
I would be completely remiss if I did not tell you about my latest driving experience.  This afternoon I took a little drive in a Kia Optima.  This vehicle was completely off my radar until I walked into a Kia dealership today and they told me about the vehicle that won the 2012 AJAC Family Car of the Year Award (under $30,000) and the Motoring 2012 Best Family Car and Overall Car of The Year.  In fact when I walked into the show room and looked under the hood and found a 4 cylinder engine, I was even less impressed.  I was told the vehicle had 200 hp, which I admit is high for a naturally aspirated I4.  I was then told that the car had gasoline direct injection (GDI). I have heard about this and know that it widens the performance window so that the vehicle has lots of pickup at low RPM.  The last vehicle that I drove with a 2.4L I4 was the Chrysler 200.  I commented that the vehicle had good pickup once the RPM’s were above 3000.  The sales consultant told me to test out the acceleration, and that I would be pleasantly surprised.
The model that I test drove was an LX+.  An LX is the base model, an EX is the mid model and SX is the top designation in the Kia brand.  I will describe the model that I drove that was priced at $26,545 plus freight and taxes.
When I sat in the vehicle, I noted how the contour seat fit like a glove and that the 10 way power seat and tilt, telescoping steering wheel were easy to set up to the optimum comfort setting. I took a quick inspection and noted the 7 air bags, and electronic stability control. This along with a number of standard safety features make this vehicle an IIHS top safety pick.
When I left the lot and accelerated into traffic, this vehicle completely blew me away.  The car leapt ahead right from a near rest without any lag at all.  I noted that the Optima had the quick response that is more important than high RPM horse-power, especially when taking off from a stop.  And once I got over the sheer excitement of the take-off, I realized that the suspension allowed for a nice smooth ride while not sacrificing sporty handling.  The Optima was equipped with a 6 speed automatic that also doubles as a manual with available paddle shifters (SX) on the steering wheel.  There is also an Eco Mode on the steering wheel which allows for optimal fuel economy by shifting the transmission and lowering the engine revs when coasting to maximize fuel economy to 50 mpg (Imperial) / 5.6L/100km highway and 33 mpg / 8.6L/100km city.  I actually travelled 18 km across the city in Eco Mode and achieved an impressive 9.1L/100km.  Crossing the city back to the dealership without Eco Mode engaged I achieved a close 9.3L/100km.
Some of the other features that are usually reserved for high end autos but included in this package are panoramic sunroof, Bluetooth, Sirius satellite, heated seats, dual exhaust, USB and auxiliary cable plugs, LED turn signals on the side view mirrors,  and auto dimming rear view mirror.  Also available on other models are heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, sport suspension and paddle shifters (SX), smart key with proximity entry and push button start, HID headlamps, rain sensing wipers, and more.  These features give the Optima a luxury feel that makes the driver feel like he is driving a vehicle that is in a much higher price category.


Editor's Note:  This article was originally written on Easter Monday, April 9th, 2012.  This was my first day working at Birchwood Kia and marks a new adventure that has since proven to be very worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment